In Industry News
dsc6327 - ReNew BioMedical“It’s amazing to see that hospital workers forget [biomedical technicians] exist. Not that I particularly mind, being a biomedical technician allows us to work and help provide care without being in the public eye. But we’re still proud to make a difference from behind the curtain.”Tyler Smith has always kept his eyes forward, ready to make the next step in life better than the last one. Once seeing college wasn’t all it had cracked up to be, he decided to follow in his father’s footsteps and join the Army. In the Army, he requested to be a Biomedical Technician.

“I wanted something that would be a promising career even when I left the military. The medical field will always be around, and equipment always needs to be fixed. I would’ve preferred to work with languages. Translate. But that would’ve been more important while I was in the military; I don’t have much enthusiasm for living abroad.”

Through basic training, Tyler learned at one of the best biomedical colleges in the US. METC focuses on bringing a practical application to the theoretical issues biomed classes often teach. Instructors often created purposeful malfunctions to guide biomeds into making efficient repairs. He worked diligently to learn and was eventually placed in a Hospital as a biomed.

“I don’t think I could’ve asked for anywhere better to start my time as a biomed than with General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital. It was a civilian and a military hospital; we still had our PT and had to go through our channels, but the civilians who worked with us had 30+ experience. If I had a question, the answer was always nearby. Working with those guys over three and a half years built my confidence, which made a world of difference when I shipped out to Korea.”1t2a9948 - ReNew BioMedical

Over the next year and a half, Tyler moved to Korea to work with a new group of biomeds. His primary focus was being a supervisor, ensuring that the people he was in charge had what they needed to live and do their jobs well.

The group he worked with played a significant role, providing about 80% of the military’s assistance in South Korea. The remaining 20% was taken care of by a military hospital.

But Tyler was ready to get home and to his wife Haley. The two quickly began looking for a place to settle. Tyler initially considered shifting fields and trying something new; factories needed technicians that paid well, after all. However, he returned to the HTM field with ReNew Biomedical.

“It was a natural fit. I interviewed with ReNew and immediately knew they cared about their craft. ReNew cared about the patients saved by the units we worked on. They also are goal-focused, constantly teaching new biomeds through a Training Academy. I’ve helped train and guide new biomeds through device issues like others helped me back at GLWACH.”

After a year and a half working with ReNew, Tyler has given his talents to helping young biomeds prepare for their CABT certification with the up-and-coming online ReNew Biomedical Training Academy. Tyler has also recently become a father, helping usher in a new generation in a far more literal sense.

ReNew has been thankful to be a part of Tyler’s journey in his HTM career. Few exemplify the dedication and focus it takes to meet challenges with an open mind. We know he meets the challenges of being a parent with the same level of tenacity.

Recent Posts
stretcher blog - ReNew BioMedicalhistory of aed - ReNew BioMedical